Just like a certain fragrance can transport you back in time, some of the hottest makeup trends for spring 2012 are reminiscent of days gone by, along with the moods they inspire. These runway looks can be achieved at home, and we’ve got some tips to get you there.
Smooth, matte complexion
For a look inspired by the 80s and 90s, strategically eliminate a shiny face effect. The matte complexion is achieved by sporting flawless-looking skin while avoiding products which create shine or sparkle. For a cohesive look, even your eye shadow and nail polish should be in muted shades.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to a smooth, matte complexion:
- Apply daily moisturizer, preferably with sunscreen.
- Next, apply primer. If you don’t currently use primer, get some! This must-have product will lay the groundwork for you to have flawless-looking skin.
- Wear a powder-based foundation.
- Don’t apply any type of highlighter or illuminator in your t-zone.
- Apply foundation to your face from the nose out to the sides and on the chin. Your forehead should remain bare, so that you look more natural and not like you’re wearing a mask.
In the 60s, Twiggy made a huge impact on the world of fashion and beauty. To imitate the signature Twiggy look, all you need in your makeup bag for your eyes is mascara and an eyelash curler. Your eyes, framed by bold lashes, will otherwise go au natural.
All that’s required for this groovy look, as they said in the 60s, is to:
- Curl your eyelashes.
- Apply eyelash primer as a base for your mascara.
- Wiggle on your mascara, and use a lash comb afterward to eliminate clumps.
- For a bolder look, add false eyelashes to the outer fringes of your eyes.
Try out the trendy makeup style of your choice, and, for added fun, channel your best thoughts about the era you’re exemplifying.